When you’re at your home, you are likely to spend a major part of your stay inside your bedroom — on your bed, to be specific. Therefore, it’s extremely
important for you to know that the branded bedsheets you’ve been using are kept clean. How often should you wash bedsheets? Washing the bedsheets is slightly different from washing clothes, and that’s what this article is all about.
How often do the bed sheets need to be washed?
How often should you wash bedsheets? This is a very common question that homemakers have. Many times, they’re clueless about how often they should wash their bedsheets. Due to this, many tend to overwash their bedsheets, resulting in their degradation. The reason behind this is that with each wash, your bedsheet is subjected to a certain degree of roughness which degrades it, even if it’s a cotton double bedsheet from a promising brand.
Some people might think that they don’t need to wash the bedsheets regularly if they don’t use them too often. However, there are several reasons to wash your bed sheet regularly. An ideal frequency would be to wash your bed sheet once a week if you’re using a cotton double bedsheet. In the laziest scenarios, in no case should this frequency reach beyond once a month, for that would make for unhygienic living conditions. The three major reasons to wash your bed sheet regularly are:
- Keep unwanted moisture & oil away: While sleeping, the body relaxes itself and produces sweat and oil in high quantities on the part directly in contact with the bedsheet. All of this gets absorbed into the bedsheet, which makes it stinky. Regular washing keeps the bedsheet free from stinks.
- Keep skin safe from allergies: Since the bedsheet and your skin are always in direct contact, it makes it very easy for the allergic bacteria in the bedsheet to harm your skin by causing allergies. Therefore, a regular wash could keep all such allergens away.
- Prevent serious infections: If there is an open wound or a cut on your body, and unwashed bed sheet would easily infect it. Hence, to prevent your branded bed sheets from being infectious, you should wash them regularly.
How to wash the bedsheets:-
Now that you know the importance of washing the bed sheets regularly, you need to know the right way to wash your bed sheets, whether it is a cotton double bedsheet or a silk single bedsheet — you need to take care while washing it.
- Do not bleach your bedsheets: Bleaching agents destroy the fabric of the bedsheets. Therefore, you should avoid bleaching as far as possible.
- Use hot water to wash the bedsheets: Hot water kills the germs on your bedsheets. Hence, to make sure your bedsheets are free of microbes and allergens, you should use hot water to wash them.
- Wash the bedsheets separately: There is no point in washing all the bed sheets together. It’s quite risky as this would overload your machine and efficient cleaning won’t be achieved.
Now that you know how often to wash your bedsheets, make sure you’re using a mild detergent that keeps the softness of your bed sheets intact.